True Colors works to create a world where LGBTQ+ youth thrive. Our mission is to ensure LGBTQ+ youth — of all backgrounds — are safe, valued, and able to be their authentic selves. We do this by providing education, advocacy, and support to LGBTQ+ youth, their families, communities, and those who work with them..
Using our many programs, we work to create positive change within many areas of society such as mental health, health care and education systems ‘families’ spiritual and religious organizations, and social and community service agencies in both the public and private sector.
Board members are responsible for the financial health, well-being, and integrity of the agency; Board members direct policy; develop and oversee the implementation of our strategic plan; and manage fund-raising events and activities. Each board member serves on one or more Board Committees dedicated to these tasks.
Board Committees include:
- Marketing: Members of this committee work on True Colors’s major fundraising events, new fundraising ideas, and some of our media and communications strategies. This is probably our busiest overall committee.
- Social Media: This board/staff committee works on True Colors’s social media presence and messaging.
- Strategic Planning: This committee evaluates TC’s conformity with the our strategic plan.
- Governance and Nominations: This committee develops organizational policies/bylaws, succession planning strategies, and initiates/supervises the recruitment of new board and committee members.
- Finance: This committee supervises True Colors’s compliance with sound financial management principles.
Community volunteers are encouraged to join a board committee prior to officially serving on the board. It is a great way to get to know us and our work before making the two year board commitment!
For more information about Board Responsibilities, click here.
For an Application to the Board of Directors, click here.
For general volunteer and board committee inquiries, see below